Wednesday 15 February 2017

Elizabeth's Bakery

Elizabeth's was a charming little store that was located at 1303 Commercial Drive. I took this picture in December of 2014 when I was first contemplating doing a Storefront project. But time passed and I took many photographs throughout 2015 and I kind of forgot about Elizabeth's. It wasn't until later that year that I returned to The Drive thinking I might get a better shot of the bakery without the bicycles in front. But to my shock and amazement I found Elizabeth's gone and the store was empty! I returned home disappointed but after doing some searching I found the bakery was still around and had moved just down the block to 1399 Commercial Drive. It just goes to show you that if you see something that looks interesting in Vancouver you better take a photo of it as it might not be there the next time you visit!





























I'm guessing the reason Elizabeth's moved is probably due to rising rents. The recent closure of Wonderbucks could be a sign of more changes on the way for The Drive. I photographed the space at 1303 again in 2016 and it had become a store called Karma which sold athletic wear. It didn't last very long and was gone by the fall. In 2017 the space is still empty so I'll be keeping an eye on who moves in next. Hopefully they'll be able to stay around for a while!

1 comment: